Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Their Way / My Way: Christmas Decor

Now that it's post-Thanksgiving I can officially stop complaining about stores and radio stations celebrating the holiday too early and start getting into the Christmas spirit myself.  Last weekend I took the boyfriend to cut down Christmas trees with my family and some friends, and yesterday my roommate and I finished putting up our holiday decorations.  I actually managed to complete another Pinterest project for our mantle:


I ended up deciding I didn't want the canvas itself to light up, and put the final product up with a string of lights instead.  


I started by laying out the text and fonts I wanted in InDesign and printed off the design.  I tried to trace over the letters with permanent marker so that it would bleed through to the canvas.  Turns out I used too thick of paper so the marker didn't bleed through at all.  Instead, I ended up semi-free handing with pencil based on the design I printed out.


Next I filled in the sketch I made with Martha Stewart metallic paints.  These aren't very thick, so I put several coats on to make it opaque.  



I added some polka dots for good measure, of course.  



Next up: Lots of Christmas music and cookie baking!  Have you started celebrating the season yet?

2 comments :

  1. Yay! This came out so great, Kristina! I've seen the "inspiration" one on Pinterest for a few months and have been dying to make one of my own. Love your interpretation!

    Alyssa
    The Glossy Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours looks great (just like the original!)

    Life Unsweetened

    ReplyDelete